Greetings from Italy!

Casalinga Cooking
Italian Fashion

Entry and Exit Requirements

Visa and other entry and exit conditions (such as currency, customs and quarantine regulations) change regularly. Contact the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Italy for the most up-to-date information.

Italy is a party to the Schengen Convention, along with 24 other European countries, which allows Australians to enter Italy without a visa in some circumstances. See our travel bulletin on the Schengen Convention for more information.

Australians should ensure that a clearly legible entry stamp is placed in their passport when entering the Schengen area (including Italy) for the first time. This stamp will mark the start of the 90-day period during which Australians are permitted to stay within the Schengen area. In addition, if you plan to spend all or most of the 90-day period in Italy, you will need to obtain a declaration of presence from Italian authorities. The declaration form is available on entry or online at the Italian Police Website at The declaration can be lodged at a police headquarters (Questura) or at some post offices.

Australians who plan to stay for more than 90 days in Italy should contact the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Italy prior to leaving Australia to enquire about obtaining the appropriate visa and the process for obtaining a permit to stay once in Italy.

You should note that the requirement to obtain a “Declaration of Presence” or “Permit to Stay” is separate from any visa obtained from the Italian Embassy or Consulates. Failure to obtain the declaration or permit may result in expulsion from Italy.

Travellers are advised to contact the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Italy, or visit the Italian Police website to seek up-to-date information relating to their individual circumstances.

Working Holiday Visas – If you are considering working in Italy under the Working Holiday Maker visa program, you should be aware of the potential for delays in the processing of mandatory residence and work permits after your arrival in Italy. In some cases, delays of up to several months have been reported. Travellers who experience difficulties in obtaining residence or work permits under the Working Holiday Maker visa program should advise the Australian Embassy in Rome as soon as possible. Please see the working holiday visa program information sheet on the Australian Embassy website.

People entering and/or exiting the European Union (EU) carrying 10,000 euros or more (or the equivalent amount in another currency) are required to declare the cash at the place of their arrival or departure from the EU. Under the legislation, the term “cash” includes cheques, travellers’ cheques and money orders. Travellers failing to declare the cash or providing incomplete or incorrect information will incur a fine. There is no requirement to declare cash for people travelling to or from another EU country.

Make sure your passport has at least six months’ validity and carry copies of a recent passport photo with you in case you need a replacement passport while overseas.



  • Eating in Italy

    When we think Italy and food, it is easy to conjure up thoughts about ‘real authentic’ pizza, and spaghetti and meatballs. It is easy to build up a food…

  • Learning Basic Italian

    Doing a bit of research and acquiring some knowledge about this fascinating and beautiful country can truly enhance planning a trip to Italy. Italy affords…

  • Diary of a Sydney-sider in Florence

    A visit to Florence would have to be a wonderful experience any time of the year. For me it was Christmas, and one of my best ever. Fewer tourists, no queues…